Dr. Ahmed Akawy Abdel-Aziz Ahmed
ACADEMIC GRADE Ph. D. (Structural Geology)
DATE OF BIRTH 09 – 03 - 1967
PLACE OF BIRTH Assiut, Egypt
MARITAL STATUS Married
CHILDERN 3 children
ADDRESS Geology Department, Faculty of Science, Qena, 83511, Egypt
SPECIALIZATION Structural Geology
PRESENT POSITION Assistant Professor, Qena Faculty of Science, South Valley University
MEMBERSHIP IN SCIENTIFIC INSTITUTIONS
A Member in Geological Society of Africa
A Member in Geological Society of Egypt
B.Sc. Geology “Excellent with honor”, 1988, Assiut University
M.Sc. 1993, Assiut University, “Structural studies on the area north of Qusier. Red Sea, Egypt”.
Ph.D. 1999, South Valley University, “ Structural analysis of the basement rocks in Wadi El Gemal area, South Eastern Desert, Egypt.”
Arabic (mother language)
English (the first foreign language) - Very Good
German (the second foreign language) - Intermediate.
INTERNATIONAL RESEARCH GRANTS
Two years Ph. D. research grant funded from the Egyptian Government, 07.01.1997 – 28.03.1999
Three months, post-doctor fellowship, Durham university, UK, 2004.
Training course on “ Petroleum exploration”, General Petroleum Company, Ras Ghareb, Red Sea, Egypt, 1988
Field course on “Geology of the Western Desert of Egypt”, Assiut University, Egypt, 1988
Field course on “Geology of the Eastern Desert of Egypt”, South Valley University, Egypt, 1995
Field trip on “Geology of the area around Bonn”, Geologisches Institute, Bonn, Germany, 1998
Learning development workshop, South Valley University, Egypt, 2001
Globalization workshop, Faculty of Engineering, Aswan, Egypt, 2001
Field course on the geology of the Western Desert, South Valley University, Egypt, 2002
Training course on “GIS”, Hans-Siedel Organization, March, 2003
Proposal writing workshop, South Valley University, Egypt, 2004
Training course on “Digital Mapping of Geological Structures”, Durhan University, UK, November, 2004
Training Course on “ Quality Assurance System”, Ain Shams University, March, 2005
Training Course on “Time Manegement”, South Valley University, May, 2005
Accreditation System in Higher Education workshop, Cairo, March, 2005
Accreditation System in Higher Education workshop, Sohag, April, 2005
Accreditation System in Higher Education workshop, Aswan, May, 2005
July 2000, 18th International Colloquium on African Geology, Graz, Austria
February 2001, 2nd International Symposium on geophysics, Tanta, Egypt
October 2001, 2nd International Conference on the geology of Africa, Assiut, Egypt
November 2001, 39th Annual Meeting of the Geological Society of Egypt, Cairo, Egypt
October 2002, 1st International Conference on Real Modeling of Tectonics and Exploration geophysics, Melano, Italy
December 2003, 3rd International Conference on the geology of Africa, Assiut, Egypt
November 2005, 4th International Conference on the geology of Africa, Assiut, Egypt
March 2006, 6th international conference on the geology of the Middle East, United Arab Emerates
December 1999, Project of active fissures along Qena – Safaja Road, Qena Governorate
May 2000, Project of ornamental stones, South Valley University
April 2001, Project of planning and surveying of Qift Industrial City, South Valley University
July 2001, Project of planning and surveying of the Staff Member City (Project – 1), South Valley University
January 2002, Project of planning and surveying of the Staff Member City (Project – 2), South Valley University
February 2002, Project of Nubia Sandstones evaluation, Environmental protection Society , Qena, Egypt
Quality Assurance and Accreditation project, Unit Construction, Qena Faculty of Science (in progress)
Quality Assurance and Accreditation project, Center Construction, South Valley University (in progress)
January 2006, Project of Needs Assessment of Schools in Qena Governorate, Qena, Egypt
PREVIOUS PROFESSIONAL POSITIONS
12/12/1989- 13/09/1993: Demonstrator, Geology Department, Qena Faculty of Science, Assiut University
14/09/1993-26/09/1999: Assistant Lecturer, Geology Department, Qena Faculty of Science, Assiut University
27/09/1999 – 23/02/2005: Lecturer, Geology Department, Qena Faculty of Science, South Valley University
24/2/2005 up to now: Assistant Professor, Geology Department, Qena Faculty of Science, South Valley University
Stress and strain analysis of deformed rocks
Analysis of geological hazards relating to tectonics
Fabric analysis and image processing of the deformed rocks
Geomorphology and evaluation of drainage basins
photogeology and remote sensing
Quality assurence and accreditation in higher education
Preparing study plans for faculties and higher education institutes
Preparing plans for solving environmental problems relating to tectonics
Construction of data base centers and other information systems relating to geology
Higher Education Enhancement Project (HEEP) trainer, South Valley University
Quality Assurence and Accreditation consultant, South Valley University
PARTICIPATION IN SUPERVISING M.SC. THESES
Abu Al Atta, S. (2003): Structural and petrological studies on Umm Howetat area, Red Sea, Egypt, M. Sc. Theis.
Abdel Aziz, H. (in preparation): Environemental structural geology on the Hurghada City, Red Sea, Egypt. M.Sc.
Mohamed, A.M. (in preparation): Structural geology and hydrageology of Esna area, Upper Egupt, M.Sc. thesis.
Abdel Fatah, A.A. (in preparation): Hydrotectonics of Luxor area, Egypt, M.Sc. thesis.
Abu El Najd, K. (in preparation): Microtectonics of the Nubia Sandstones, Qusier Region, Egypt. M.Sc. theis
Prof. Dr. R.E. Holdworth, Durham University, Department of Earth Sciences, UK
Prof. Dr. W. Meyer, Germany, 5315 Bonn, Nussallee 8, Geologisches Institute
Prof. Dr. Mostafa Youssef, Egypt, Assiut, Assiut University, Faculty of Science, Geology Department
Prof. Dr. Abbas Mansour, Egypt, 83511- Qena, South Valley University, Faculty of Science, Geology Department
List of Publications
1- Yousef, M.M., Askalany, M.M. & Akawy, A. (1994): Landforms and morphometric analysis of the area north of Qusier, Red Sea, Egypt. Bull. Assiut Fac. Sci., 23, 433-449.
2- Yousef, M.M., Kamal El Din, G.M., Rashwan, A.A. & Akawy, A. (2000): Description and evaluation of shear criteria developed in folds and thrusts of Wadi El Gemal, South Eastern Desert, Egypt. Abstr. 18th International Colloquium on African Geology, Graz, July 2000, p.91.
3- Yousef, M.M., Kamal El Din, G.M., Rashwan, A.A. & Akawy, A. (2001): Strain analysis using deformed pebbles, boudinage restoration and the center – to-center technique in Wadi El Gemal area, South eastern Desert, Egypt. 2nd Inter. Conf. African Geol. Assiut, Egypt, 28-30 October 2001, p. 41.
4. Asran, A. M. H., Kamal El Din, G. M. & Akawy, A. (2000): Petrochemistry and tectonic significance of gneiss-amphibolite-migmatite association of Khuda metamorphic core complex, Southern Eastern Desert, Egypt - 5th Inter. Conf. Geol. Arab World, Cairo, February 2000: 15-34.
5. Akawy, A. & Kamal El Din, G. M. (2001): Structural constraints on emplacement of the post-tectonic granites in the Pan-African belt: A case study of Um Hombos pluton, Central Eastern Desert. J. Egypt. Geol. Soc., 45/2, 865-882.
6. Akawy, A. (2002): Structural geomorphology and neotectonics of the Qina – Safaja district, Egypt. N.Jb. Geol. Palaont. Abh. 226:95-130.
7. Akawy, A. & Zaky, K.S. (2002): Image processing, geometrical analysis and microstructures of the deformed rock fabrics in Al-Fawakir – Umm Eysh Al Hamra, Central Eastern Desert, Egypt. Bull. Assiut Fac. Sci., 31, 179-200.
8. Kamal El-Din G.M., Asran A.M.H., & Akawy, A. (2002): El Marafawy Swell, South Eastern Desert, Egypt: Geochemistry and Structural Analysis. J. Egypt. Geol. Soc., 46/1, 259-282.
9. Kamal El Din, G.M., Akawy, A. & Abu El Atta, S. (2002): Structural Geology and Petrochemistry of Abu Shegeli Rifted blocks, Red Sea Region, Egypt. Bolletino di Geofisica, 42, 57-60.
10. Kamal El Din, G.M. & Akawy, A. (2003): Structural and geochemical characteristics of the Nubia sandstone in the Central Eastern Desert of Egypt: An environmental applications. . 3rd international conference on Geology of Africa, Assiut, 2003, p.77.
11. Akawy, A. (2003): Fault characterization and paleostress analysis in the Precambrian rocks west of the Meatiq Dome, Central Eastern Desert, Egypt. N.Jb. Geol. Palaont. Mh, 228: 1-35.
12. Akawy, A. (2005): Tectonic impacts on drainage systems and topography from Precambrian to Recent in the Central Eastern Desert of Egypt: A model from the area south of Umm Gheig. N.Jb. Geol. Palaont. Mh, 235: 235-264.
13. Akawy, A. (2005): Middle Eocene - Recent Tectonics in the Qina area, Upper Egypt. N. Jb. Geol. Paläont (in Press), Stuttgart.
14. Akawy, A. (2005): Damage zone characteristics of the outcrop-scale NW-striking faults and their relation to the Red Sea rifting, Duwi area, Egypt. 4th international conference on Geology of Africa, Assiut, 2005.
15. Akawy, A. (2006): Geometry and texture of quartz veins in Wadi Atalla gold mine area, Central Eastern Desert, Egypt. 6th International conference on the geology of the Middle East, United Arab Emerates, 20-23 March 2006, p. 35.
16. Akawy, A. (in preparation): Fault scarps and neotectonics, Abu Dabab area, Red Sea, Egypt.